Nigerian schoolgirls rescued after mass school abduction

Two dozen Nigerian schoolgirls rescued after mass school abduction

Nigeria

Two dozen schoolgirls who were kidnapped from a school in northwestern Nigeria last week have been rescued, the country’s president has announced.

Last week, 25 school girls were abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School by armed bandits. One child managed to escape, according to the school’s principal.

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu announced the release of the remaining 24 girls, saying he was relieved.

“I am relieved that all the 24 girls have been accounted for,” the president said in a statement. “Now, we must put as a matter of urgency more boots on the ground in the vulnerable areas to avert further incidents of kidnapping.”

No details have been shared about the rescue, however it was confirmed that the girls were abducted from the school in Kebbi State shortly after a military detachment left the area. The school’s vice principal was also killed. 

There have been a number of similar kidnapping events by armed groups in recent days in northwestern Nigeria. 

On Friday, more than 300 students and staff were abducted from a Catholic school in north-central Niger state. Fifty students escaped over the weekend. 

The kidnapping prompted Pope Leo to issue a plea for the immediate release of the children. 

“I feel great pain, especially for the many young men and women who have been abducted and for their anguished families,” the pope said at the end of a mass in St Peter’s Square.

“I make a heartfelt appeal for the immediate release of the hostages and urge … authorities to [make] appropriate and timely decisions to ensure their release.”

Meanwhile, police have launched a search for 10 people, including five children, who were abducted on Monday evening in Kwara state.

×

Stay Smart!

Get Women’s Agenda in your inbox