The sun is still shining and you may have spent precious time with friends or family. You have had time away from work to rest, regroup and, hopefully, rejuvenate. The new year now stretches out ahead of you and it is filled with possibility. It is a time to clear the slate and believe that anything is possible.
It is a time to reflect on the year that was and decide what it is that you want to bring forward with you into 2014 and what you want to leave behind. It is far too easy for one year to roll aimlessly into the next, leaving you feeling lost, unfulfilled or without direction.
This is the ideal time to set new goals and to create focus on what is most important – spending more time with the family, getting to the gym more often or perhaps going after that dream job. It is the time of the year when you get to dream big, think about becoming anything you want; more focused, more disciplined, more passionate, more energetic.
You get to set a new plan for the year ahead and to wonder what life will be like in 5 years from now. The year is shiny and new and you get to shape it exactly as you would like it to be. Why wouldn’t you want to make it your best year ever both professionally and personally?
If you do decide you want to make this year the best year of your life, both at work and at home, how can you do it?
Here are my five strategies for creating positive change and to reach your goals.
- Make a decision. Most people say they want to change without making the real decision to change. A true decision is based in commitment. You have given your word to yourself. It’s a decision that says regardless of what you run up against, you are going to persist. It’s a deal you have struck with yourself and there is no going back!
- Know why you must. Too many people get caught up in HOW they are going to achieve their goals but that comes later. There are lots of ways to achieve our goals; how is the easy part. Why is much tougher and it is the single most important element in keeping you motivated and on track for success. Let’s say you have decided to change jobs. Good for you. Why? To be earn more money? To progress your career and feel more challenged? All great answers. Go deeper. Why do you want to be more money? Why is it important to progress your career? Dig deep for the WHY you want to achieve this goal. Knowing why is what keeps you driving forward whatever it takes.
- Be willing to do whatever it takes. You must be willing to do whatever it takes. The road to change or to achieving something new is not going to be easy. If it were you would already be there. From studying people who have achieved success I have learnt that the thing that stands them apart is that they have been willing to do whatever it takes. What are you willing to do to achieve the goal you are seeking?
- Now go out and DO whatever it takes. This is where it gets tough but also exciting. This is about taking action… creating momentum and pushing through any barriers or discomfort that may show up. You will only achieve what you want when you take action.
- When you fail, dust yourself off and start again. And there will be times when you do fail. Be ready for it! Believe that there is no failure only feedback. When we do not at first succeed, it is a sign that we need to do something different. It is feedback to you that the strategy you chose may not be the best strategy. Our ability to push through the moments of disappointment and failure is how we develop strength and character.
This is important work. Life is too short to be mediocre. Get started right now on the changes you want to create in 2014.
And when you get to where you want to be, celebrate. That’s the pay off. Celebrate your victory and acknowledge the outcomes you are achieving in your professional and personal life. To find out more about creating a plan for your best year ever you might like to consider this.
Get started today and good luck creating your best year ever.