NSW Police launch manhunt for attacker of women in Sydney

Police launch manhunt for man who attacked women walking alone

manhunt

NSW Police have launched a manhunt for an armed man on the run in Sydney’s north-west after he targeted and attacked a number of women walking alone.

After a number of reports of robberies and assaults in the Northmead and North Rocks area early on Wednesday, police are still searching for who they describe as a young man, dressed in head-to-toe black, with his face covered at the time of the crime sprees.

It’s believed the man could attack again, as officials are warning the public not to approach him and call police immediately. 

CCTV obtained by 9News

At a press conference, Superintendent Barry Vincent from NSW Police said the spree of attacks began when a white Mitsubishi Outlander SUV was reported stolen from a business on Windsor Road in North Rocks at around 5am on Wednesday. 

Officers then received another call that a 47-year-old woman walking alone on Mons Road in Northmead had been approached from behind by a man. 

It’s understood the woman tried to flee, but her personal items including a bag were taken from her. 

The offender fled the scene in an SUV, believed to be the same one reported stolen from North Rocks earlier. 

Officers received another call while responding to this incident from a 19-year-old woman who was approached from behind by a man of similar description while walking along Junia Avenue in Toongabbie. The woman was allegedly threatened with a knife before her bag was stolen. 

Following this, police were alerted a short time later to another incident, where the attacker allegedly threatened a 27-year-old woman with a hammer in North Parramatta. She gave up her purse and mobile phone to him. 

Vincent said men known to the woman tracked her stolen phone to the nearby North Rocks Road and confronted the offender, who smashed their car window with a hammer and assaulted them before again fleeing the scene. 

Officers have since recovered the stolen vehicle but are still looking for the man. An extensive search has involved a helicopter, specialist officers and the dog unit. 

Meanwhile, Christ King Primary School in North Rocks was forced into lockdown on Wednesday at about 11am after police asked staff to keep students inside as a precaution. 

Police are also investigating if this same man is responsible for break-ins at multiple homes across the area two days earlier. 

Vincent said while none of the women were seriously injured, the nature of the alleged offending was of “deep concern” to officers.

“I would describe this as particularly cowardly, just targeting women walking alone in the early hours from behind,” he said. 

Anyone with information or footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

×

Stay Smart! Get Savvy!

Get Women’s Agenda in your inbox