Days after allegations of sexual assault were made against actor Chris Noth, the stars of the Sex and the City reboot have released a joint statement to support the women behind the allegations.
Publishing a statement on Twitter, Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon wrote:
“We are deeply saddened to hear the allegations against Chris Noth.”
“We support the women who have come forward and shared their painful experiences. We know it must be a very difficult thing to do and we commend them for it.”
One Twitter user responded by linking an article originally published in The National Enquirer in 1995 where Beverly Johnson, Noth’s former partner, accused her then-boyfriend of sexual assault.
The article, titled ‘Top Model Battered By Law & Order Star’ has been widely circulated since last Thursday, when two women made allegations of sexual assault against the 67-year old.
According to Page Six, Johnson once filed to get a restraining order against Noth, claiming he “punched [her] in the chest and ribs” and allegedly made repeated threats to “kill” her.
Court documents obtained by the celebrity news website reveal that Johnson filed for the temporary restraining order in Los Angeles Superior Court on 1 August 1995, requesting Noth stay half a kilometre away from her, her daughter and their pet dog.
“Chris Noth punched me in the chest and ribs, injuring my ribs, making it difficult to breathe, punching and bruising my face and body in which I had to have medical attention,” Johnson alleged in the documents.
“On July 27, 1995, he made repeated threats on my life making up to 25 calls per day threatening to kill me [and] destroy my face and threatened to kill my dog.”
Last week, The Hollywood Reporter published an interview with the women who said they were preyed upon by Noth, famous for his role as “Mr Big” on Sex and the City.
The incidents were said to have happened in 2004 and 2015.
The New York Post reported that Noth had been so rough with one woman that he made her bleed and left her seeking hospital treatment.
In a statement to Page Six, Noth responded by saying, “The accusations against me made by individuals I met years, even decades, ago are categorically false.”
“These stories could’ve been from 30 years ago or 30 days ago — no always means no — that is a line I did not cross. The encounters were consensual. It’s difficult not to question the timing of these stories coming out. I don’t know for certain why they are surfacing now, but I do know this: I did not assault these women.”
Since The Hollywood Reporter accusations were made public, a third woman has come out to say she was sexually assaulted by Noth in New York City in 2010.
If you or anyone you know is in need or crisis please call the National Sexual Assault, Domestic and Family Violence Counselling Service on 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732), Lifeline 131 114, NSW Rape Crisis on 1800 424 017 (24/7) Sexual Assault Counselling Australia on 1800 211 028 (8am – 11pm, Mon – Fri) sexualassaultcounselling.org.au