'Shocked': Sydney Swans confirm players involved in ‘alleged incident’

‘Shocked and disappointed’: Sydney Swans confirm players involved in ‘alleged incident’ as police investigate alleged sexual assault in Melbourne

Sydney Swans CEO

Sydney Swans CEO Matthew Pavlich has confirmed that “several players” were involved in an “alleged incident” overnight following their game against Essendon in Melbourne.

Pavlich addressed media on Monday afternoon after Victoria Police said they were investigating an alleged sexual assault at an East Melbourne hotel. Police said the alleged incident occurred on Wellington Parade in the early hours of Monday morning. 

During his brief remarks shortly after 2pm Monday, Pavlich said the Swans have reported the incident to the AFL and that they are “working with relevant authorities”.

“We’re still piecing together what’s transpired here,” he said.  

“We’re extremely shocked and disappointed that this has taken place and that the players have found themselves in this situation.” 

“We understand the level of interest, lots of speculation, but given it’s a police matter, that’s all we can say on it.” 

The Swans had been staying in Melbourne following their game against Essendon at the MCG on Sunday afternoon. 

×

Stay Smart!

Get Women’s Agenda in your inbox